Sunday 22 July 2007

'Spaghetti Bolognaise' or not?


I've been thinking of ways to use metil-cellulose since I received it and thought it would be fun to re-do an old classic, Spaghetti Bolognese. I decided to make a bolognese consomme with Parmesan 'metil' noodles. After e few failed attempts at clarifying with gelatin due to incorrect % I decided to use this method for the consomme. After a night in the freezer the broth is slowly de-frosting as we speak in the fridge over the week end.


Next came the noodles. I wanted a really intense Parmesan flavour and so decide to make some Parmesan serum. I let the serum sit in the fridge overnight and when I came back the next day I was confronted by two very different products from the day before. The serum had split and I was left with a kind of 'curd' and 'whey'. Both had a very strong Parmesan flavour.






I separated them both and decided to use the whey for the noodles. I'm now left with a new product to play with after this. Parmesan Curd/Butter. Its super smooth and really intense. More fun next week, maybe replace butter content in pastries with it, or slip it under the skin of poultry who knows at this point.
So that's we're I'm at at the moment. I'll post the finished product when I get to work on Tuesday



















































No comments: