Monday 6 August 2007

Parmesan Curds & Whey

So after a little thought I decided it might be nice to use the curd from the parmesan serum to stuff a possin. I got some beautiful free range, cornfed birds and proceeded to put the curd between the skin and the flesh of the birds. The first time I only used a thin layer as the flavour was so intense, however a lot of the power is lost in cooking so a good amount was used in the end.
Next we cooked the birds Sous-vide for around 30 mins at 65 degrees. Before icing it ready to colour in a pan. Id tasted the cooked bird last week so knew the flavour was that of lightly toasted parmesan. It struck me as a very light spring preparation and even though we're still officialy in winter here, I'm already getting the first broad beans form one of my suppliers. The marriage was made, then I had some beautiful glazed spring onions which just seemed the natural partner for the beans.
So once the bird was coloured in the pan I played about with a few presentations as you can see (this isn't all of them) and came upmwith some promising dishes for the new spring menu in a couple of weeks. Its so simple and the flavours all go really well. I warmed up the beans in a little of the whey and finished it with some really fruity EVO. All that was left was to dot a few drops of pousin jus around and enjoy the flavours.

No comments: