Friday 7 March 2008

Saffron Rice Puffs



This is an idea I had after watching a series of videos, on http://gastrovideo.com/ , of the new techniques used at el Bulli for 2008. They make Parmesan souffles using rice puree as a base. We adapted it a little and cooked the rice with some saffron. After we mix it with some salt, Parmesan and egg whites. After mixing it well we spread it between a frame and let it set in the freezer. Once its set you can cut what ever shape you want and cook it on the silpat at 160 degrees C. This was the second attempt and a lot more successful. I found that the rice puree was too wet the first time and this meant that the souffle skin was to thin to hold the air. You just have to make sure that the rice is completely dry when you puree it. We sprinkled them with a little smoked paprika and served them as canapes. With rice being so absorbent the choices for flavours is innumerable. I'll let you know what else I come up with. The puffs ar really crisp and light and have a great saffron taste. Later

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

See Here or Here

Anonymous said...

hey tony. i tried to email you...did you change your adress ?

cheers reuv´

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I have a rice cracker experiment waiting on my shelf at this very moment. I've let it dry for three days in preparation for deep frying.

I'm going to try this myself, but I wonder: Is the texture satisfying? The egg white and cheese may make the difference. My previous experiments with rice flour have come out like dried glue.

Also: I wonder if this would be a good application for par-cooked rice.