I decided this week to have some fun with squid ink. I've been wanting to make a squid ink bread for a while and today this was the first attempt. I was quite pleased with the results though tomorrow I will adjust the quantities a little. I based the recipe on a simple pain de mie recipe with the addition of the ink. I took out some of the butter; however on tasting the bread I feel that reducing the water to accommodate the added moisture from the ink would be better. The loaf had a fantastic crust and the crumb was quite light and moist.
I didn't have the proper mould to cook a pain de mie so I cooked the loaf first in a terrine mould and then finished it out of the mould.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the bread yet. I've thought of canapes with sea urchin, king crab sandwiches or maybe crisp croutons with 62 degree egg and chorizo puree. Not sure yet.
So this was a good start to a week of fun with squid ink. I'll let you know how I get on tomorrow.